Our skin is our largest organ, with that being said we need to pay close attention to what we are putting on it. Toxins are in our cosmetics and toxins are in our food! Toxins are even in the air we breathe so when do we get a say on what we ingest into our bodies?! Well in reality we do. It’s up to us as intellectual human beings to question the safety of the things we consume, even if we think it is something minuscule. We vote with our $$$ so every time we buy something toxin free it lets companies know we’re serious about our health! Remember that. IF YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT, WHAT GOES ON YOUR SKIN GOES IN YOUR BODY!!! Comprende? As I mentioned before in my earlier post, “What are Toxins?“, I mentioned that the immune system is weakened by Bioaccumalation, which in short is toxins accumulated in the body that are hard to expel.
Ingredients, Ingredients, Ingredients!!!
If you don’t already pay attention to what’s in your food than you’re way far behind! But if you do, kudos. Next step personal care items such as deodorant, soap, toothpaste, shampoo & conditioner, lotion, sunscreen, makeup, nail polish, hair spray, hair dye ETC. Finally, household cleaners! Yes, they are even more toxic to the home than outside pollution because it’s concentrated unless of course you air out your home daily.
Other Chemicals to AVOID:
- Phenoxyethanol– Alternative preservative to Parabens. Conflicting evidence of safety so just avoid it.
- Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Petroleum (PAH)– Known carcinogen meaning it causes cancer. Cause skin irritation, allergies, sits on the surface of the skin without letting it breathe. You wouldn’t rub your cars motor oil on your skin… so avoid it. USE NATURAL UNREFINED COLD PRESSED OILS such as coconut and olive.
- Alcohol, Isopropyl (SD-40)– Made from petroleum, disrupts the natural PH balance of the skin enhancing the penetration of other chemicals into the body. May cause headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, and depression. Neurotoxin! Can be replaced with citrus extracts in natural/hand-homemade product 😉
- (Synthetic) Fragrance, Perfume, Parfum– Absolutely no regulations on what this means or can contain. May have up to 4,000 different chemicals in this one word! If you’re like me with a chemical sensitivity it may cause headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, and skin irritation. Possible carcinogen and neurotoxin. Buy only fragrance free, unless it’s scented with organic essential oils.
- Sodium Hydroxide– The warning label on sodium hydroxide products reads “POISON, May be fatal or cause permanent damage if swallowed. May cause blindness. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, mouth and clothing.” But it’s somehow safe if only a little bit is used?… just let that sink in.
- Toluene– Used in gasoline, paints, coatings, synthetic fragrances, adhesives, inks, and cleaning agents, etc. Causes fatigue, sleepiness, headaches, and nausea, depression, cardiac arrhythmia, and susceptibility to respiratory infections.
- Talcum – Used to keep stuff dry, in baby powder! Linked to ovarian cancer increased risk by 30%. Ditch it! Try arrowroot powder instead.
- Formaldehyde, Formalin– Known carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer and by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Used as a preservative in Vaccines, food, clothing, cosmetics, household cleaners, etc.
Is using products filled with these chemicals worth it?
Hell to the NAH! It’s so easy to switch over to non toxic personal care products and makeup! So many companies are popping up daily! If you’re concerned about the cost, have you priced cancer lately? Better yet, your life? Go ahead and research safer brands or DIY. Also, two really great apps that you can use are EWG skin deep and Think Dirty. Both apps scan the bar code on your product and rates them on a scale of 0-10 based on toxicity.
Wishing you all peace and well-being ❤